Sunday, December 8, 2013

12/8 (Sunday) - 4 Week Anniversary

We checked into the hospital and started the induction process to meet Leo on a Sunday night.  Little did I know we would still be here four weeks later. We have come a long way, but still have a ways to go. Tonight Leo was destating and alarms were going off, but I didn't really react. The nurse said "I can tell you have been here a long time by that reaction."  I never thought I would be a veteran at the NICU, but I am still a newbie in comparison to some poor families here.   

We really didn't make much change this weekend after the chest tube came out. Leo has had quite a few times where his oxygen levels have dipped down low. However, 95% of the time it seems like he doesn't need any support. We think he might be having acid re-flux and forgetting to breath when it hurts him. From my understanding, this is pretty common with the TEF. I think the doctors are going to give him some more re-flux medicine to see if it helps. His doctor said she won't put him back on the lowest oxygen until he stops these episodes. Leo's heated bed is turned off now and he is wearing real baby clothes and using blankets! I miss seeing his little body, but I like how it makes us feel more normal. This week we are waiting to hear back on the MRI and possibly move forward with the G-Tube or at least evaluation of his needs.

Friday night was my turn at home and Sammie and we got up and had breakfast with Santa (and the Ory's and Braden's) at the Heyworth elementary.  It was great seeing everyone and Sammie even sat on Santa's lap without crying. Terry came home and we headed over to State Farm for another Santa encounter. We also picked out a Christmas Tree.  We were weenies this year and got one from Owen's indoor display room :(.  It was fun making Christmas memories with Sammie. Now she is bonding with Dad and I'm at the hospital for Saturday and Sunday nights.




 

3 comments:

  1. You have all been through so much this last month. Your blog is our therapy as well; you are all in continued prayers and well wishes are abundant. Thank you for sharing the pictures. Leo sure is a cute fella and Sammie is just adorable. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leo looks so grown up with his clothes on!!! :) He's absolutely beautiful. It's interesting to think of the breathing spells being tied to something else. It makes sense. Hopefully they've nailed the theory and are able to resolve it. Sammie was super cute on Sat am, and as cold as it was the indoor tree selection was a great call! Give your little man an extra squeeze from the Ory crew. :) Still sending all our love and support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Hanging on Leos every move here in KC. Loving the big boy clothes :) we are seeing more of Sanmie than usual with this blog so that's fun for us to see her adorableness more regular. Praying for continued progress and meaningful results from his upcoming testing. Love on that boy for us! - the Stovers

    ReplyDelete