The day started off normal. Mom came over and made French toast and took Sammie to her 9:15 make-up music class. Leo was a little fussy but breathing fine. Around noon we had lunch and then Sammie and I were playing kitchen. Leo started fussing so I changed is diaper and then he seemed fine. A few minutes later he started alarming. He does is it about 15 times per day so no big deal. I thought it was just his normal quick desat, but he didn't come back. He bounced around for awhile in the 70s and 80s, but seemed okay so I thought it was a problem with the sensor on his foot. While holding him encoarging him to come back up I changed his foot sensor and yelled for mom to get the oxygen from upstairs. The new sensor clearly showed desats in the 70s and bouncing to the 60s. Before we got the o2 on him he even got into the 50s and was turning blue. This was the real deal. The o2 brought him back up pretty quick, but then I realized the tank was on empty. In a panick I called Ter and asked if I was using and reading it correctly and he agreed from what I was telling him the o2 was almost empty. For about 10 minutes we played the yoyo game where the o2 brings him back up to 100, but then he cannot maintain and drops back into the 70s. After a good suctioning he finally stabilized. I was super scared the o2 would run out in the middle of the episode, but luckily there was enough left it get us through. It was like driving a car on E, but worse!
After he appeared stable Ter agreed to come home. I felt bad asking him to, but I was worried if the o2 did run out it would be best if we were both there for CPR. I called Dr. Emm's office and they started working right away to get us a refilled tank. We think the tank ran out because last week we didn't close the valve with this special tool they gave us. We just shut off the o2 flow. After some work, they agreed to deliver another tank to us tonight. They guy that delivered the new tanks said the seal around the washer didn't look good so that could have also been part of the leak issue. They tried to bring us 6 tanks but we just took 2 in case we have another leak.
Dr Emm also told us to call the lung doctor due to this episode and what happend last week. The Pulmonologist wants to see us and is thankfully squeezing us in tomorrow when we are in Peoria for a follow up with the surgeon. Tomorrow is busy. At 9:30. We have pt and ot evaluations followed by a 10:30 meeting to agree to a care plan at Easter seals. Then to Peoria for X-ray, surgery and lung docs. Like I said .. Busy!
and it was scary... Old Grandma was so impressed with Kate & Terry's reactions on which steps to take and for how long and staying quite calm while they focused....and Terry was trying to visualize the scene while listening on the phone!
ReplyDelete