After being home for 24 hours, we found ourselves back at OSF St. Francis Medical in Peoria. About 8:30 last night, Leo's g-tube came out. As I was putting Leo down to change his diaper and get ready for his feeding, the feeding tube connected to his g-tube was tangled with one of the wires that monitors his breathing. I didn't notice and as I put Leo down, the tension from the wire was enough to pull out his G-tube. I noticed it immediately so Kate and I frantically called our doctors in Peoria and they suggested we come in right away. I feel so horrible that this happened and put us back at the hospital.
We got to Peoria just before 10pm. What is normally an hour drive, took much longer due to snow covered roads. When we arrived at the emergency room, a resident surgeon was waiting for us. He was able to insert a new g-tube in the emergency room right away which surprised us. We had to hold Leo down as he placed the new g-tube but the procedure only took a few minutes. In the g-tube, fluid is insert to create a ball like shape inside the stomach to hold the g-tube in place. The resident surgeon thought the orginal g-tube did not have enough fluid so when he inserted the new g-tube, he placed more fluid to help keep it in place.
However, we had to wait for a x-ray study to make sure the g-tube was placed correctly before we could leave and come home. If the g-tube was not inserted correctly, it could have required another surgery to replace it. After waiting for 3 long hours to do the study, we got good news that everything looked like it was placed correctly. Throughout the night, Leo was extremely upset and kept having dstats on his breathing. He was put on 1 liter of oxygen support very soon after we arrived. After the study, Leo had to prove he could be taken off the oxygen by going 20 minutes without any dstats. Luckily, leo calmed down after the g-tube study since the study put fluid into his stomach which made him feel full.
After a very exhausting night, we were cleared to go home about 4:30 am. The drive home was not much better than the drive there. We got home about 6am and after getting Leo back in his bed and fed, Kate and I finally got to get some sleep. We are so fortunate to have Grandma Helen so close and so thankful for everything she does for us. Not only did she come right away last night to stay with Sammie, she is also watching Sammie today so Kate and I can try to get some sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment