Tuesday, November 19, 2013

11/19 (Tuesday) Leo vs. The Ventilator and Chest Fluid

Dad and Leo both got stuck with needles today for blood tests. I got an email saying I was “living dangerously” by not completing my annual wellness exam so I figured I better not live so dangerously and get that taken care of this morning while Kate stayed at the hospital with Leo.
 
Everyone was hoping Leo would be taken off the ventilator today but no such luck. His reliance on the ventilator was reduced to see how he would react and he did not react well. The change was reverted and he is now back to breathing very comfortably. The good news is that his pain medication was reduced again today and he seems to stay comfortable with that reduction. Leo also finally had fluid come out of his chest tube which was tested to see where the fluid is coming from. Chylothorax is now back on the table as a source of the problem. Poor little guy is not going to get fed overnight to see if the fluid levels in his chest react to not eating.
 
Tomorrow is a big day for Leo. The surgeons will do a esophogram (dye test) to see if the esophagus has closed properly from his surgery last week. Hopefully we have good news to report tomorrow....

1 comment:

  1. Terry and Kate, my heart goes out to you. Thank you for the updates. I read them faithfully everyday hoping my prayers are helping. I will continue to keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

    ReplyDelete